We have different kinds of mentoring to guide you through the challenges of being a change agent.
Mentoring involves highly personalized, one-on-one phone support, at a pace determined by your initiative.
Customer-centered Excellence Mentoring is a rifle shot approach to using the C3 methodology to achieve your objectives. However, it is a highly effective way to address specific business issues that can be well-defined and resolved within a short time period (typically less than 6 months) or it can be used along with project management to make sure you are always a step ahead of everyone else. This one-on-one approach ensures you will always have the guidance necessary to tackle the complicated challenges ahead.
The preferred way to create energetic, intellectual and emotional engagement with leadership is through inspiring training that equips them for success. When this is done to align the organization’s strategic direction with customer priorities, you have taken the path with greatest impact, fastest pace and best sustainability. Sometimes not possible or desirable to start there. Constraints may include lack of leadership readiness, insufficient budget, a crisis atmosphere or burnout from unsuccessful attempts with prior change initiatives. Without the commitment to make the best possible start, we could either give up or take a different direction. The following outlines an alternative direction that can work very well.
We can demonstrable improvement in just a critical few areas with very few human and financial resources by using C3 Mentoring. Unlike ad hoc consultation that can go on forever, C3 Mentoring is generally done in a structured manner by phone with a small number of talented, highly dedicated practitioners.
Customer-centered Excellence Mentoring is designed to guide you and your critical few colleagues in the application of the C3 methodology. Though sometimes used when training is not possible, Mentoring can also be effective as support following some initial C3 training. You will work directly with Rob Lawton, your C3 Mentor and creator of the C3 system. After the initial organizing phase, we will usually set up a regular schedule of 60-90-minute call times, to occur weekly or bi-weekly. Ad hoc calls can also be arranged. Mentoring guides you successfully through the use of the C3 system, core concepts and/or tools. Customer-centered Excellence Mentoring is usually chosen to address one of the following topics:
For change leaders involved in organizing and managing projects when the solution is unknown. Such projects are unlike traditional project management where the solution is known and the job is now to execute with least risk and resources. Your task with strategic C3 projects is to fully define what the opportunity or problem is and come up with the optimum solution. You must make a compelling proposal based on unimpeachable findings to achieve outstanding results. Our C3 Project Mentoring program is based on Rob’s book “Creating a Customer-Centered Culture: Leadership in Quality, Innovation, and Speed” and uses our Excel-based project management tools.
For change leaders involved in organizing large change initiatives. Our Master of Excellence program is based on Rob’s new book “MASTERING EXCELLENCE: A Leader’s Guide to Aligning Strategy, Culture, Customer Experience & Measures of Success”.
For change leaders who need guidance on a specific initiative. For example:
- Strategic Planning, including creating a draft strategic plan framework
- Measurement, including creating a balanced scorecard or measures connecting strategic objectives, accountability and work across many or all functional responsibilities
- Satisfaction Surveys, including developing a satisfaction survey and plan for distribution
- General, unspecified single topics.
Initiative Sponsors, project leaders and others on the enterprise leadership team are typical users of Customer-centered Excellence Mentoring. We will integrate, wherever possible, any tools, talents and initiatives you already have in place.
Evidence of success typically includes the following:
- Modifications of a current or draft strategic plan to achieve much better alignment between enterprise and customer priorities
- Development of, or modification to, your key performance indicators (KPIs) to better balance measures and goals linking strategy, internal behavior, cultural imperatives, change initiatives and customer wants
- C3 project completion that gets enthusiastic endorsement from executive leadership and “go!” decisions to implement recommendations
- Project implementation results with significant and measurably improved experience for your customers and enterprise performance (cost, revenue, retention, execution or response speed, etc.)
- Fluency in the C3 methodology and tools, sufficient to replicate successful application in new areas with very limited consultative support
- Increased executive receptiveness to broader and more strategic adoption of C3 practices
Individual practitioners relying on this approach are overwhelmingly viewed as heroes when their C3 projects are completed, frequently getting recognized by promotion, award or other commendation. But it is important to understand that C3 mentoring is not designed to change the culture of the enterprise, win the hearts and minds of those outside the mentoring process, or create internal experts who can teach others the C3 methodology. It is possible to become proficient at a skill or endeavor without necessarily being equipped to teach others. If the goal is to train experts to teach others, additional C3 training (and licensing) will be necessary.
Advantages of C3 Mentoring include:
- A structured but highly customized approach
- The lowest cost approach to achieving high impact with measurable results
- Reduced risk of failure or underperformance of current initiatives
- Grounding in the use of defined C3 tools (see Resources, below.)
- Direct dialogue with Rob Lawton, the C3 Mentor and author/creator of the C3 system
- Emphasis on application to specific business issues of significance
- High probability of project completion that exceeds the prior experiences of the sponsor(s), facilitator and team members
- ROI likelihood better than an average of 5-to-1 across three or more projects
- Significant skill development by all those directly involved in the application projects, transferrable to future issues
Publications you may need:
- Creating a Customer-Centered Culture: Leadership in Quality, Innovation & Speed (1993)
- Mastering Excellence: A Leader’s Guide to Aligning Strategy, Culture, Customer Experience and Measures of Success (2017)
- Leader’s Actions application exercises from Mastering Excellence
- C3 Tools organized by suites
- Free articles and references on this website